Senior Home Heating Subsidy
The Senior Home Heating Subsidy assists low-to-modest income seniors in the NWT with their heating costs. Remember to budget for your heating costs. You will be responsible for heating costs above the subsidy level.
Eligible seniors will receive a monthly amount from September through April that is dependent on the community that they live in. Unused portions of the monthly allotments can be carried forward to the following month. The breakdown of zones, income thresholds and subsidy amounts are below:
|Zone 1||Zone 2||Zone 3|
Jean Marie River
Fort Good Hope
|Income Threshold||Up to $56,000||Up to $64,000||Up to $73,000|
Applications for the 2023-2024 heating season (September 2023 – April 2024) will be accepted starting April 1, 2023.
This program is intended for Northerners who:
- Are residents of the Northwest Territories
- Are 60 years of age or older
- Own and occupy the home as their primary residence or, if renting, be the lessee of a self-contained unit where heating costs are not included in the rent
- Meet a household income test
- Are not receiving Income Assistance
- Apply each year
How to Apply
To apply, a Senior Home Heating Subsidy Application must be completed. Proof of age, total household income, homeownership or rental accommodation must be provided to a local ECE Service Centre.