Senior Home Heating Subsidy
The Senior Home Heating Subsidy provides financial assistance to low-to-modest income seniors to help with the cost of heating their homes. In response to the rising cost of living, the GNWT is issuing a one-time additional payment to the subsidy to assist seniors with the costs to heat their home.
Seniors who have already been approved for 2022-2023 do not need to re-apply for the additional payment. Seniors who have not yet applied for the Senior Home Heating Subsidy are encouraged to do so.
Seniors may be eligible to receive a set amount depending on household income and the community they live in.
Seniors can apply for the Senior Home Heating Subsidy for the 2022-2023 year at anytime, but applications must be received by March 31, 2023.
This program is intended for Northerners who:
- Are residents of the Northwest Territories
- Are 60 years of age or older
- Own and occupy the home as his/her primary residence OR if renting, be the leasee of a self-contained unit where heating costs are not included in the rent
- Meet a household income test
- Are not receiving Income Assistance
- Apply each year