Student Financial Assistance
This program provides financial assistance to eligible Northwest Territories (NWT) residents to assist with post-secondary education-related expenses.
- Basic Grant: Funding for tuition and fees, books and travel costs
- Supplementary Grant or Remissible Loan: Monthly living allowance
- Repayable Loan: Funding for tuition and fees, books, travel and a monthly living allowance
- Grants for Students with Permanent Disabilities
- Course Reimbursement: Up to $880 per course
- COVID-19 Technology Grant: One-time grant of $750 to assist with cost of purchasing technology equipment, such as computers, printers, scanners, etc.
- COVID-19 Support Grant: Monthly grant of $100 to assist with additional costs, such as internet fees.
Annual deadlines are:
- June 30 for programs starting between August 1 to September 30,
- October 31 for programs starting in January, or
- One month prior to the program start date for all other months.
- The course reimbursement application deadline is one year from the start of your course.
Applications for loan repayment incentives must be submitted twice a year: by April 15 and by October 15. Failure to submit the attached Application for Loan Repayment Incentives will result in the re-instatement of interest on your repayable loan. Your monthly payments may be increased as a result of interest being charged.
NWT Residents interested in pursuing part-time or full-time post-secondary education.
How to apply
- Complete an application form or apply online each academic year.
- Students applying online for the first time will need a Web Access Code (WAC). Once submitted, your WAC code will be sent to the email address that was provided. When you receive the WAC code, you may log into MyECE and apply for SFA. You will only need your WAC the first time you log into MyECE.
- You must apply each year to continue receiving funding.
- Applicants do not have to be accepted into a program before applying for SFA.
- Student Financial Assistance Handbook
- Student Financial Assistance Policy Manual
- Student Financial Assistance Act and Regulations
- Forms and Applications
Contact your Student Case Officer while you’re applying for assistance or while you are attending school.
Contact your Finance Officer if you’re looking for information to pay back your loans.