Student Financial Assistance

See all Funding Programs


This program provides financial assistance to eligible Northwest Territories (NWT) residents to assist with post-secondary education-related expenses.

Available Funding

  • Basic Grant: Funding for tuition and fees, books and travel costs
    • Northern Indigenous Residents can receive $875 for books and up to $3,320 for tuition per semester
    • Northern Residents schooled in the NWT can receive $700 for books and up to $2,655 for tuition per semester
  • Supplementary Grant or Remissible (forgivable) Loan: This is a monthly living allowance (based on family size)
  • Repayable Loan: Funding for tuition and fees, books, travel and a monthly living allowance
    • Up to $1,400/month depending on need
  • Grants for Students with Disabilities
    • up to $4,000 per academic year for assistance with tuition, books, travel and accommodation; and
    • up to $20,000 per academic year to assist with eligible expenses, such as a tutor, interpreter, special equipment, etc.
  • Course Reimbursement: Up to $880 per course; lifetime limit of $8,800


Annual deadlines are:

  • June 30 for programs starting between August 1 to September 30,
  • October 31 for programs starting between December 1 to January 31, or
  • One month prior to the program start date for all other months.
  • The course reimbursement application deadline is one year from the start of your course.

Applications for loan repayment incentives must be submitted twice a year: by April 15 and by October 15


NWT Residents interested in pursuing part-time or full-time post-secondary education.

To qualify for SFA, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or a protected person of Canada;
  • be a resident of the NWT according to program criteria;
  • study at an approved designated institution;
  • be enrolled in an approved, post-secondary program or course as defined by SFA; ensure your previous SFA student loans are up-to-date;
  • make arrangements to repay any outstanding Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) debts; and
  • not be receiving student financial aid from another provincial, territorial or federal program.

How to apply

The Student Financial Assistance (SFA) online application is currently unavailable.

To apply, please complete the SFA application and submit it by:

•    Email:
•    Fax: 1-800-661-0893 (toll-free) or 1-867-873-0336
•    Mail:

  NWT Student Financial Assistance Program 
  Department of Education, Culture and Employment  
  Government of Northwest Territories  
  Box 1320  Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9

You can also drop off an application in person at the SFA office in Yellowknife:

1st Floor Lahm Ridge Tower
4501 – 50th Avenue

If you have any questions or need help with your application, you can call the SFA office toll-free at 1-800-661-0793.


  • You must apply each academic year to continue receiving funding.
  • Applicants do not have to be accepted into a program before applying for SFA. However, before they can start receiving SFA, they must be enrolled in an approved post-secondary program.

Contact us

Contact your Student Case Officer for assistance while you’re applying for SFA or while you are attending school. 

Contact your Finance Officer, Revenue and Collections if you’re looking for information to pay back your loans.

Related links