JK-12 School Curriculum
JK-12 Curriculum Renewal
As part of its regular review processes, ECE is investigating possibilities for curriculum renewal. Change is inevitable, as the NWT Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (JK-12) curriculum is out of date and needs to be renewed. In addition, the NWT uses a significant portion of Alberta’s curriculum, which is undergoing large-scale changes to every subject and grade from K-12.
ECE is currently in the research and engagement phase of JK-12 curriculum renewal; this includes exploring possibilities for a partnership with another western province. Any curriculum implemented or used in the NWT must meet the needs and interests of students and communities. It must be a curriculum that is grounded in Indigenous world views and reflect the identities of our northern children and support them in becoming capable people.
Any changes to NWT JK-12 curriculum will be carefully considered to ensure it aligns with the territory’s education goals.
For more information on JK-12 curriculum renewal, see the documents below:
Have Your Say
ECE is in the process of gathering feedback from Indigenous governments, education bodies, and the Northwest Territories Teachers’ Association about JK-12 curriculum renewal.
If you have feedback on curriculum renewal, please fill out this form.
Alternatively, you can email your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
Where can I find more information?
If you want to read more about the current JK-12 education system in the Northwest Territories, please take a look at the following resources.
- NWT Education Renewal and Innovation Framework
- Includes a link to the Framework document and highlights ECE’s commitments to education in the NWT.
- NWT Education Renewal and Innovation Framework 5-Year Evaluation
- Includes information on recent improvements to the education system, how we’re doing, and information on high school graduation rates.
- Report of the Office of the Auditor General of Canada: Early Childhood to Grade 12 Education in the Northwest Territories – Department of Education, Culture and Employment
- Read the most recent report of the Office of the Auditor General (OAG) of Canada on early childhood to Grade 12 education in the NWT.
- Action Plan to Improve JK-12 Student Outcomes in the NWT
- Read our Action Plan and follow our Action Tracker to monitor our progress on improving student outcomes in response to the ERI Evaluation and OAG report.