Student Financial Assistance Program Overview
ECE offers full-time and part-time financial assistance to NWT residents attending accredited, postsecondary institutions and programs through the Student Financial Assistance (SFA) Program. The purpose of the SFA Program is to help supplement the cost of obtaining a postsecondary education, not to cover all expenses.
Depending on eligibility, SFA may provide post-secondary students with assistance for:
- Basic Grant – Funding for tuition and fees, books and travel costs
- Supplementary Grant or Remissible Loan – Monthly living allowance
- Repayable Loan – Funding for tuition and fees, books, travel and a monthly living allowance
- NWT Grants for Students with Permanent Disabilities
- Course Reimbursement - Part-time studies funding up to $500 per course
Handbook, Policy Manual and Legislation
How to Apply for Student Financial Assistance
To apply for SFA, you must complete and submit an application each academic year. Applications can be downloaded here or you can apply online.
Students applying for SFA online for the first time will need a Web Access Code (WAC). The WAC is a unique code used to link your personal information to your MyECE account so that you can apply for SFA. You can request a WAC here.
Once submitted, SFA staff will forward your WAC to the email address provided. Upon receiving your WAC, you can log into MyECE and apply for SFA. You will only need your WAC the first time you log into MyECE.
You can also visit the SFA office located in Yellowknife at the Lahm Ridge Tower – 1st floor or at your local ECE Service Centre.
Annual deadlines for SFA applications are:
June 30 for programs starting between August 16 to September 30,
October 31 for programs starting in January, or
One month prior to the program start date for all other months.
Other important notes:
- You must apply for SFA each year to continue to receive funding.
- The course reimbursement application deadline is one year from the start of your course.
- Applicants do not have to be accepted into a program before applying for SFA.
- Have questions about filling out the application or other forms? Call the SFA Office toll-free at 1-800-661-0793 or email email@example.com.