Institutions or Programming from outside the NWT


There are two primary ways that post-secondary education programming from other jurisdictions can be delivered in the NWT:

  • Through an NWT post-secondary education institution that offers the program from another jurisdiction; or
  • Through a southern institution that wishes to operate in the NWT.

A Letter of Authorization is required in both scenarios.

NWT institutions offering programming from other jurisdictions

NWT post-secondary education institutions intending to offer programs from other jurisdictions will need to have successfully completed a system coordination review and be referred by the Minister to a quality assurance body for a quality assurance review. 

  • Universities and colleges offering degree programs are required to have a successful institutional review as part of the CAQC quality assurance review.
  • Private institutions, including private vocational training institutions, are required to have successfully completed a quality assurance private training institution review.

Southern institutions operating in the NWT

A university that has gone through a quality assurance process in a jurisdiction outside of the NWT wishing to operate within the NWT must provide evidence that it is established under the legislation of another province or territory and that the institution and its programs of study successfully met and continue to meet quality assurance review standards of its home jurisdiction.

Process Length

  • Letter of Authorization applications will be reviewed within 45 business days.
  • Review the Service Standards here.