Early Childhood Development Framework and Action Plan
The Department of Education, Culture and Employment and Health and Social Services renewed the Right from the Start Framework and Action plan in 2013/14. This Framework and accompanying Action Plans reflect the Government of the Northwest Territories commitment to the future success of our most important resource, our children. Right from the Start guides investments in programs and services by both Departments for early childhood development.
The vision of the Framework
Children will have the best start in life, with supports that allow them to develop to their fullest potential; creating a positive future for themselves, their families, and their communities.
The mission of the Framework
To provide equitable access to a continuum of inclusive, culturally relevant early childhood development programs, services, and resources for children, parents, families, and communities.
The goals of the Framework are:
- Increased accessibility and participation in early childhood development programs, services, and supports for children and families.
- Enhanced quality of early childhood development programs, services, and supports.
- Improved integration and collaboration at all levels of the early childhood development system.
- Expectant mothers will have access to evidence-based services that support improved outcomes for mom and baby;
- Early intervention programming aimed at infants, children and parents will be expanded;
- Early childhood assessment, intervention and responses will be improved;
- Coordination and integration will be improved across the continuum of ECD programs and services;
- Promotion, awareness and education initiatives related to early childhood development will be available to all families and communities;
- Access to high quality, affordable early learning programs and child care services will be enhanced; and
- The Departments will ensure there is ongoing monitoring, evaluation and reporting for continuous quality improvement in early childhood development programs and services.