Prospective Teacher Information

Moving to the NWT

It is important to note that, in the NWT, the employer does not provide housing for its teachers. A Northern Living Allowance is provided to teachers in the Northwest Territories to offset the high cost of living in the remote northern communities. Some employers/principals/education authorities may assist in locating housing but it is recommended that you research this issue thoroughly.

In larger communities, there are apartment buildings and houses for rent either through the local housing office or through local rental agencies. Links to local newspapers, postings, and real estate companies are provided below for reference.