Moving to the NWT

It is important to note that, in the Northwest Territories, employers do not provide housing for teachers. A Northern Living Allowance is provided to teachers in the NWT to offset the high cost of living in remote northern communities. Some employers/principals/education authorities may assist in locating housing, but it is recommended that you research this thoroughly.

In larger communities, there are apartment buildings and houses for rent either through the local housing office or through local rental agencies. Links to local newspapers, postings, and real estate companies are provided below for reference.