Teacher Qualification and Certification
Bring your skills to our diverse Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 education system as a certified educator in the Northwest Territories (NWT).
The NWT is home to 33 communities and about 44,000 people. There are eight education authorities that manage 49 schools across the territory.
Individual school/education authorities in the NWT recruit and hire their own principals, teachers and educators. You can find a directory of NWT education bodies here.
To apply for teaching positions in the NWT, an individual must:
- Be a Canadian citizen,
- Landed immigrant, or
- Provide proof of a work visa (this is the responsibility of the applicant)
Apply for teaching certificates
CertifiED NWT: Online JK-12 educator certification system
The Department of Education, Culture and Employment (ECE) has launched an online certification system for Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (JK-12) educators: CertifiED NWT.
It offers a straightforward and transparent certification process and enables educators to view the status of their application at any time.
New educators in the NWT can apply for interim teaching certification:
- Interim Professional Teacher Certificate and Salary Evaluation
- Interim Vocational Specialty Teacher Certificate
- Interim Indigenous Language Speciality Teaching Certificate
- Interim Junior Kindergarten Specialty Teaching Certificate
Returning educators can renew their certification or apply for speciality certifications:
- Application for Professional Teacher Certification
- Application for Renewal of Teaching Certificate
- Application for Vocational Specialty Teaching Certificate
- Application for Indigenous Language Specialty Teaching Certificate
- Application for Junior Kindergarten Specialty Teaching Certificate
Educators can request a Salary Re-evaluation or a Statement of Professional Standing via CertifiED NWT.
CertifiED NWT is only for certified Northwest Territories educators, or educators who have an active job offer in the territory.
If you have any questions regarding the certification process, please contact the registrar’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org.