Student Financial Assistance

Loan Repayment & Forgiveness

Loan Repayment & Forgiveness

When do you begin repaying or remising your student loan?

You must contact the SFA Office once you cease full-time studies in order to make arrangements to have your loan forgiven and/ or begin repayment. You are entitled to a 6 month interest-free period after ceasing full-time studies.

Ceasing full-time studies means that you:

  • Are finished your program of study
  • Are enrolled in part-time post-secondary studies or upgrading
  • Withdrew, or are withdrawing from school
  • Are taking a semester off, or
  • Dropped some classes and are no longer considered a full-time student according to SFA

Need more information about having your student loans forgiven or need to start repaying? Call the SFA Office toll-free at 1-800-661-0793, email