NWT Literacy Awards
All NWT residents benefit from literacy
Literacy skills in our NWT Official Languages are crucial to daily living, employment, citizenship, personal advancement and life enjoyment.
The Minister of Education, Culture and Employment created the NWT Literacy Awards to honour the literacy achievements of youth and adult learners, exceptional educators, and organizations and businesses across the territory.
What are the award categories?
There are nine total literacy awards that may be given each year, including eight Ministerial Literacy Awards and the Premiers of Canada Council of the Federation of Literacy Award.
The Ministerial Literacy Awards include:
- Youth Learner Literacy Award
- Adult Learner Literacy Award
- Youth Indigenous Language Champion Award
- Outstanding NWT Educator Award
- Outstanding Support for Literacy Development NWT Business Award
- Second Language Learner Award
- Supporting Literacy Through Technology Award
- Outstanding Non-Profit Support for Literacy/Language Development
All awards criteria are outlined in the nomination form below.
How do you nominate someone for an award?
To nominate someone for an award, fill out the nomination form and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline. You must include two email references and/or letters of support. Additional supporting material, such as photographs, audio-visuals, publications and products, are welcome but not necessary.
For help filling out this form please contact the NWT Literacy Council at 867-873-9262 or by email at email@example.com.
Deadlines for 2021
• July 15, 2021 - Premiers of Canada Council of the Federation of Literacy Award nominations due
• August 20, 2021 – Ministerial Literacy Awards nominations due
How many winners will there be?
There will be up to nine winners: one Premiers of Canada Council of the Federation of Literacy Award winner and up to eight Ministerial Literacy Awards (one per category if there are appropriate submissions).
How are award winners selected?
Recipients are selected through a nomination and selection committee process.
Where are the awards presented?
The awards will be presented virtually.
What do award winners receive?
- The winner of the Premiers of Canada Council of the Federation of Literacy Award receives a Council of the Federation medallion, a $300 literacy grant cheque, and a congratulatory letter and certificate from the Premier of the Northwest Territories.
- Winners of the Ministerial Literacy Awards will each receive a $150 literacy grant cheque, and a congratulatory letter and certificate from the Minister of Education, Culture and Employment.
Today we celebrate the winners of the 2020 NWT Ministerial Literacy Awards and acknowledge their contributions to literacy in the NWT. Congratulations to all award recipients.