In this section
- Ministerial Directive on Strengthening Teacher Instructional Practices (2020)
- To provide direction to education bodies regarding the hours of non-instructional time that must be established for 1) planning for student assessment and reporting, and 2) professional planning and learning.
- NWT Ministerial Directive on Inclusive Schooling (2016)
- To provide roles and responsibilities and standards for schools in the NWT to ensure that students are well integrated in the school in their community.
- Principal Growth and Evaluation in the Northwest Territories (2012)
- To provide direction towards a system-wide process to guide the development of school principals and ensure that school principals meet an acceptable standard in the performance of their duties.
- Cultural Orientation for Teachers (2010)
- To provide a two day cultural orientation in order to help teachers understand the unique culture, history, traditions and values of the First Nations, Metis and Inuit people in the Northwest Territories.
- Educating All Our Children: Departmental Directive on Student Assessment, Evaluation and Reporting (2010)
- To provide guidelines for the fair assessment evaluation of students that provides valuable information on student success in relation to curriculum expectations and identify areas of strength and challenges at the student, school, district education authority, divisional education authority, and territory-wide level.
School Improvement and Reporting
- NWT School Improvement and Reporting Directive and Framework (2010)
- To provide direction to support schools in a continual and relevant planning process that is evidence-based and student-focused through a collaborative planning model with a strong focus on learning and quality teaching.
- Addendum to Directive on Release of Alberta Achievement Results (2006)
- Release of Alberta Achievement Test Results (2005)
- Alberta's Provincial Achievement Tests are administered annually to students in grades 3, 6, and 9 in mathematics and language arts. This directive provides guidelines to protect the privacy of individual students.
- Standardized Testing – Alberta Achievement Testing (2004)
- To ensure system-wide information on student achievement is collected and reported for Alberta Achievement Testing in Mathematics and Language Arts in Grade 3, 6 and 9.
- Departmental Directive on Aboriginal Language and Culture Based Education (2004)
- To give direction and ensure accountability for the use of the funding provided by the GNWT to divisional education councils and district education authorities for language and cultural programming; provide direction for planning and supporting Aboriginal language and culture programming in the NWT schools; and ensure the school system supports and reflects Aboriginal language and culture-based education by setting out a framework for planning, developing, delivering, supporting and evaluating Aboriginal language and culture-based education programming in the NWT schools. This directive also clarifies the roles and responsibilities related to the establishment of culture-based education programs, as a foundation for education in the NWT.
- Evaluation and Promotion of Professional Growth for Teachers in NWT Schools (2004)
- To ensure that a system-wide process of supervision, support and development is in place for teachers working in Northwest Territories schools.
- School Fees for Treaty Rights Holders (2003)/Clarification on Directive (2004)
- To ensure school administrators are aware that treaty rights for Aboriginal students prevail over the rights of education bodies with respect to fees for education applied under Sections 117(1)(h) and 118(1)(b) of the Education Act.
- Recruitment of Teaching Personnel (2001)
- To provide direction to education bodies regarding the recruitment of teaching personnel, the checking of references and the nature of the subsequent employment contract. This directive also reinforces the commitment by the Government of the Northwest Territories to offer employment to all northern graduates of teacher education programs.
- Career Development Across the Lifespan (2001)
- To provide guideline for the delivery of quality career development education, programs, and services that provide people with the tools, resources, and opportunities to be self-directed in their work/life through contributions that bring personal meaning and satisfaction to themselves and their community.
- Management of Information in the Student Record and Other Records Pertaining to Students (1998)
- To provide direction to DECs, DEAs and schools to ensure that their records management procedures are consistent with Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act (ATIPP) and to integrate the requirements of other guiding documents, including the Education ActStudent Record Regulations and the Protocol for Sharing of Information on Young Offenders. The Directive was updated in 2005 -- Revised version available here.
- Child Abuse Protocol (1998)
- To provide the authority of a Directive to the Child Abuse Protocol document. This document describes the roles and responsibilities of school staff and others in handling disclosures of child abuse.
- Religious Instruction in Public Schools (1998)
- To ensure that all Divisional Education Councils, District Education Authorities and School Administrators are respectful of the spiritual values or beliefs of all students and understand the section of the Act that deals with religious instruction.
- Home Schooling (1996)
- To identify the responsibilities of the Superintendent, Superintendent's designate, principal and DEA regarding home schooling programs, including programming, support, registration, and funding.
- To provide guidance on the planning, development, and delivery of community Senior Secondary Schooling to ensure that all students have the opportunity to access higher learning in their own cultural environment.
Ministerial Directive - Addendum to Directive on Release of Alberta Achievement Results (2006)
Ministerial Directive - Cultural Orientation for Teachers (2010)
Ministerial Directive - Departmental Directive on Aboriginal Language and Culture Based Education (2004)
Ministerial Directive - Directive on Standardized Testing (2004)
Ministerial Directive - Educating All Our Children Departmental Directive on Student Assessment, Evaluation, and Reporting (2010)
Ministerial Directive - Evaluation and Promotion of Professional Growthfor Teachers in NWT Schools (2004)
Ministerial Directive - NWT School Improvement and Reporting Directive and Framework (2010)
Ministerial Directive - Principal Growth and Evaluation in the Northwest Territories (2012)
Ministerial Directive - Release of Alberta Achievement Test Results (2005)
Ministerial Directive - School Fees for Treaty Rights Holders (2003) and Clarification on Directive (2004)
Ministerial French First Directive - English Language Survey Report
Ministerial French First Directive - Statement of Eligibility for Non-Rights Holders - EN
Ministerial French First Directive - In Person Stakeholder Report
Ministerial French First Directive - French Language Survey Report
Ministerial French First Directive - Non-Rights Holder Admission Policy - EN
Ministerial French First Directive - Directive Review
Ministerial Directive - Recruitment of Teaching Personnel (2001)
Ministerial Directive - Career Development Across the Lifespan (2001)
Ministerial Directive - Child Abuse Protocol (1998)
Ministerial Directive - Magnet Facilities (1998)
Ministerial Directive - Religious Instruction in Public Schools (1998)
Ministerial Directive - Home Schooling (1996)
Ministerial Directive - Preparing for Tomorrow – Community Secondary Schooling (1994)
Management of Student Information1998
Directive - Student Records