Premier Caroline Cochrane and members of Cabinet will be in Ottawa this week to meet with federal ministers to discuss Northwest Territories (NWT) priorities ahead of next year’s Federal budget.
The goal of the meetings is to raise awareness and build a better understanding of key NWT priorities and the benefits investment in the North will have on Canada. These priorities include the Taltson Hydro Expansion Project, Mackenzie Valley Highway, and the Aurora College transformation to a Polytechnic University.
Several other priorities will be discussed with federal ministers this week, including housing, increased funding for mental health and addictions, harbour restoration in Hay River, and priorities identified by the Council of Leaders under the Arctic and Northern Policy Framework (ANPF).
Meetings with federal ministers will be held from December 5 to 9. Joining Premier Cochrane will be Caroline Wawzonek, Minister of Finance and Industry, Tourism and Investment, Diane Archie, Minister of Infrastructure, Paulie Chinna, Minister of Housing, and Julie Green, Minister of Health and Social Services.
“The people of the Northwest Territories are our priority. We are focused on making sure all residents have what they need to thrive. We want to create connections to the expansion of green energy, a net zero future, critical mineral opportunities, accessibility to education for northerners, and build strong, safe, and thriving northern communities that demonstrate security through sovereignty. To achieve these goals, we need commitment from Canada on our shared priorities. It is time for Canada to undertake bold new nation building projects that will strengthen Northern communities and close the gaps that exist between the North and southern Canada.”
- Caroline Cochrane, Premier of the Northwest Territories
- This will be the Premier’s third visit to Ottawa in the last year to discuss NWT priorities with the federal government.
- Premier Cochrane and members of Cabinet will be meeting with:
- Dan Vandal, Minister of Northern Affairs
- Marc Miller, Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations
- Carolyn Bennett, Minister of Mental Health and Addictions
- Omar Alghabra, Minister of Transport
- Jonathan Wilkinson, Minister of Natural Resources
- Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Housing
- Mackenzie Valley Highway
- Taltson Hydro Expansion
- Polytechnic University
- Arctic and Northern Policy Framework (GNWT)
- Arctic and Northern Policy Framework (Canada)
- Mandate of the Government of the Northwest Territories
For media requests, please contact:
Government of the Northwest Territories