YELLOWKNIFE (October 30, 2018) – Minister of Education, Culture and Employment, Caroline Cochrane, is pleased to announce the names of five recipients inducted into the 2018 Minister’s Culture and Heritage Circle on October 29, 2018.
Recipients are recognized and respected in their communities for leadership, participation and significant contributions to the arts, culture and heritage. By category, the recipients for the 2018 Minister’s Culture and Heritage Circle are:
- Youth: Alice Twa, Yellowknife
- Individual: Tishna Marlowe, Łutselk’e
- Elder: Joanne Tetlichi, Fort McPherson
- Group: Old Town Community Association, Yellowknife
- Minister’s Choice: Designated Gwich’in Organization, Fort McPherson
The recipients received public recognition and a gift from Minister Cochrane at the ceremony on October 29 in the Great Hall of the Legislative Assembly.
“Culture, heritage and the arts contribute to personal well-being, community resilience, language, identity and a strong and vibrant territory. In the Northwest Territories, many individuals and groups have made lasting contributions to our culturally rich territory. Each year, the Minister’s Culture and Heritage Circle recognizes some of those who work to support culture and heritage in their communities. I would like to thank all of this year’s inductees for their valued contributions to culture, heritage and the arts in the NWT.”
-Caroline Cochrane, Minister of Education, Culture and Employment
- The Minister’s Culture and Heritage Circle (MCHC) helps build awareness among all northerners about the importance of promoting, protecting, preserving and celebrating the unique cultures, heritage and ways of life in the Northwest Territories.
- Created in 2011, yearly nominations are received from across the territory to acknowledge organizations and individuals who have contributed to the Northwest Territories’ arts, culture and heritage community.
- Supporting the preservation of traditional skills and practices and respecting the cultures and heritages of all northerners are priorities of the GNWT Culture and Heritage Strategic Framework.
Senior Communications Advisor
Department of Education, Culture and Employment
Government of the Northwest Territories
Tel: (867) 767-9352 x 71021