Resources for Current Teachers/Principals

Teacher Qualification and Certification

The Department of Education, Culture and Employment is the regulating body for teacher certification in the NWT.  The NWT Education Act requires that every individual teaching in a school must hold a valid teaching certificate. To be eligible for certification, individuals must hold certification in the original jurisdiction of their teacher education program. Examples of acceptable degrees are as follows:

  1. A 4 or 5 year Bachelor of Education
  2. A 4-year acceptable degree, which includes a minimum of one year of teacher training (eg. Bachelor of Arts (in Education), Bachelor of Home Economics, Bachelor Physical Education)
  3. A 3-year acceptable degree (eg. Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, etc) plus a minimum of one year of professional teacher training (teachers’ college, one year Bachelor of Education after degree program, Diploma in Education, etc.)

In addition, an individual must be a Canadian Citizen, Landed Immigrant or provide proof of a work visa.  Obtaining and organizing a visa is the responsibility of each individual.

A central employment agency for recruiting teachers is not available in the NWT.  Each Divisional Education Council/Authority/Services Board has a recruiting unit and should be contacted for available teaching positions.