Yellowknife (October 26, 2018) - Minister of Education, Culture and Employment, Caroline Cochrane, today released the Government’s Response to the Aurora College Foundational Review Report (“Review Report”), announcing the transformation of Aurora College into a polytechnic university to better meet the needs of residents of the Northwest Territories.
The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) has accepted the overarching recommendation to transform the College into a polytechnic university.
A polytechnic university combines the practical approach of a college education with the depth of study associated with a university program. Polytechnic programs focus on hands’-on skills and are technology-based, ensuring graduates are prepared for the current job market.
The GNWT has determined that a polytechnic university, building on our existing College, is the most efficient, effective and practical path towards providing more quality postsecondary education and training opportunities in the north, for northerners. A main priority moving forward will be to ensure a strong institution is maintained, with three vibrant campuses, each with quality programs that are sustainable and which utilize, and build on, the assets of the communities where they are provided.
Next steps include the hiring of an Associate Deputy Minister of Postsecondary Education Renewal and the development of a vision for postsecondary education in the NWT.
“NWT residents need more educational opportunities here in the NWT, so they can get the skills and training NWT employers are looking for today and into the future. A polytechnic university will improve the quality and kinds of education and training opportunities at all three campuses and in communities. Decisions moving forward will not be rushed. The evolution of Aurora College into a polytechnic university will take time to implement, but it will bring new opportunities for growth and prosperity, in all three campus communities, that will benefit generations to come across the NWT.”
- Caroline Cochrane, Minister of Education, Culture and Employment
Quick Facts :
- The Aurora College Foundational Review was initiated in March 2017
- The external contractor was MNP LLP
- The Review Report was delivered to the GNWT on May 4, 2018
- Campus community visits took place in June 2018
- The Government Response to the Aurora College Foundational Review was released October 26
- The Government evaluated the recommendations based on principles outlined in the Terms of Reference for the GNWT Response to the Foundational Review
- Conducting a Foundational Review of Aurora College is a Mandate commitment of the 18th Legislative Assembly
- Aurora College Foundational Review
- Terms of Reference for Aurora College Foundational Review
- GNWT Response to the Aurora College Foundational Review
- Terms of Reference for the GNWT Response to the Foundational Review
Media and Communications Coordinator
Government of the Northwest Territories
Ph: (867)767-9140 ext. 11092
Senior Communications Advisor
Department of Education, Culture and Employment
Ph: (867) 767-9352 ext. 71031