Minister's Culture and Heritage Circle Awards
The Minister's Culture and Heritage Circle (MCHC) Awards honour the efforts of residents who work to strengthen the arts, cultures, heritage, and languages of the Northwest Territories. The awards celebrate outstanding leadership in the North and builds awareness among northerners about the importance of promoting, protecting, preserving and celebrating our unique cultures and ways of life.
See the award recipients from 2011 to present.
- Youth: A individual 25 years of age and under, who demonstrates a strong commitment to engaging in the arts, cultural learning and cultural practices of the North.
- Individual: A individual 26 years of age and older, who demonstrate a strong commitment to preserving and promoting culture through participation in various arts, culture and heritage-related activities.
- Elder: A individual 50 years of age and older, who is recognized by their community or region for their guidance and leadership in practicing, promoting or teaching in areas of arts, culture and heritage.
- Group: Any organization, corporation, institution, committee or social club that plays a lead role in developing and supporting activities that celebrate, promote or preserve the arts, culture and heritage.
- Indigenous Language Revitalization: Any individual or group whose efforts increase the presence, visibility, use, or scope of languages in communities.
- Minister's Choice: An exemplary individual or group at the Minister of Education, Culture and Employment's discretion.
Nominations are now being accepted.
- Must be a current resident of the Northwest Territories (except were awarded posthumously).
- Must have made a significant contribution to the arts, culture, heritage, or Indigenous language revitalization.
- Must be independently motivated by a genuine desire to make a difference.
How to nominate someone
- Download a nomination form.
- Submit your completed nomination form before the deadline:
- Email: MCHCawards@gov.nt.ca
- Mail: Culture and Heritage, Education, Culture and Employment, Government of the Northwest Territories, P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9
For questions about the MCHC Awards email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 867-767-9347 ext. 71474.